Monday 4 July 2016

A Child's Morning in Lithuania





I can smell the scent of spring flowers and soft lips touch my forehead. I can feel the gentle stroke on my face and after few seconds the room door closes quietly...
My mum has left to go to work but the smell of her perfume still hangs around me. My mum goes to work very early every morning but I know I will see her after my school day and yum yum - she will smell like delicious homemade food then. 

I open my heavy sleepy eyes and slowly glance around the room.
On my left hand side stands the tall, big, old fashioned wardrobe. A warm feeling goes through my little body - I know my mum hides a few chocolate bars on one of the shelves in a wardrobe.
My mum has no idea that I know the secret place - I found it when I was looking for my clothes and instead of the odour of fresh clothes odour I managed to smell chocolate. I definitely have a good sense of smell.

On the top of the wardrobe are the photos of my mum and dad. My mum looks at me and smiles from the photo. Dad looks very serious and manly, he wears his army uniform.
I remember that photo from an early stage of my childhood. My dad was on army duty when I was born, so every time when someone ask me where is my dad I would point my finger to the picture on the wardrobe. My mum said it was so funny when my dad finally came back home after his military service and I was nearly one year old. She asked me to 'go and say hi to your dad' and I did, I said hi my dad's photo.

Further in the room I can see the shadow of my parents' sofa bed and my desk where I sit every evening to do my homework.
Opposite my desk is a window.  The red curtains are still closed and the yellow tulips on the curtains look like dancing slowly while a mild breeze enters the room.
On the right hand side, a black and white TV stands on the TV table. I wonder what is on the kid’s channel tonight. Fingers crossed it will be my favourite 'Nu Pogodi' ('Just Wait') series and I can watch it before I go to bed tonight.

On the top on the TV stands my dad’s precious thing - a belt recorder. We have such a good times dancing all together when dad switches it on the weekends! Mama-Mia!
I can hear my little brother sigh deeply in his baby sleep in his cot.  My heart fills up with a huge wave of love! I cannot wait for him to wake so I can sing his favourite songs and watch him laughing with his big brown eyes and toothless mouth.
I stretch my body slowly and the bright orange colour catches my eye. I realise I lie there in an orange cloud and feel soft cotton covers hold my body gently. I love my bed sheets - orange with red smiley Russian dolls figures called Matryoshka dolls. I always had a feeling they kept my dreams safe from nightmares. I slowly immerse myself in sleep again.

Far far away I can hear steps and a quiet click. Suddenly, COCK-A-DOODLE-DO! (kakarieku!,) the rooster sings on the radio!
Oh Dear! It wakes me up!

My dad with his fresh after shave smell slowly bends towards me and whispers in my ear 'Good morning my beautiful daughter - time to get up and get ready for school.’ A gentle kiss and little tickle on my funny bones and I am ready for a new day.

© Jurgita Stipiniene July 2016




Jurgita

26/05/2016

No comments:

Post a Comment