Wednesday 20 July 2016

A CROWDED SHELF






Oh, that one's my favourite of Bert
Next to him, our youngest child, Eve.
Something to do with her heart -
They did all they could, but
 She went before him.

Tommy now, he was a lad,
Big and strong, and much taller than me,
He went off to learn farming,
And never came home
To Norfolk.

He live s up in Yorkshire now,
Selling animal feed in the Dales,
He’s married with sons of his own,
I don’t like to push,
He’s so busy.

Bert and me on our wedding day,
‘Course no frills, it was war time.
He was my soldier boy, and
 I was his sunshine girl.
Tommy was on the way.

My friend Dot on an outing to Cromer,
Such a wind! It blew up our skirts,
We had ice cream and I broke a heel.
Me and her were really close,
But she’s gone now.

Here’s one of my brother Reg,
Came to me when wife Ivy died,
But he was already quite poorly,
We buried him near Bert,
For the company.

That’s my niece June, lovely girl,
Came over a few months ago.
Said I should get a computer,
To stay in touch – I said June,
In touch with who?

She said, with the world Aunty May,
I said June, that’s a wonderful thing,
But I talk to my pictures each morning,
And what’s more,
They don’t go away.


©Lyn McKinney 20th July, 2016

No comments:

Post a Comment